Subject: Re[5]: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: what does 'get..' return? [2 of 2]

To verify that I correctly understand all the technical details of the proposal...

At 10:24 AM 5/9/2005 -0400, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
Monday, May 9, 2005, 9:22:21 AM, Lofton wrote:

LH> [...]  As I understand it, CV would be
LH> the same as Specified Value for 'visibility' (and 'inheritance').
Not 100%, but I don't think it makes a big difference, ex:

BEGAPS 'one'
  ATTR 'visibility' 'on'
  BEGAPS 'two'
    ATTR 'visibility' 'inherit'
    BEGAPS 'three'
    ENDAPS
  ENDAPS
ENDAPS

- 'one' has a clearly specified value of 'on', ok, the APS is visible.
- 'two' has a clearly specified value of 'inherit', but it's 'computed
value' (this is a CSS term) is 'on' (came from 'one'), 'two' is also
visible.
- 'three does not have a specified value, so it inherits the 'computed
value' of its parent which is 'on', not 'inherit'. (small distinction)

(...and the *computed value* of 'three' is then 'on', correct?)

So consider this modified example:

BEGAPS 'one'
  ATTR 'visibility' 'on'
  BEGAPS 'two'
    BEGAPS 'three'
    ENDAPS
    [...]
  ENDAPS
ENDAPS

- 'one' has a clearly specified value of 'on', ok, the APS is visible.  (And its Computed Value is 'on'.)
- 'two' does not have a specified value, so it inherits the Computed Value (this is a CSS term) of 'one', which is 'on' (because 'visibility' has "Inherited: yes" rule); 'two' is also visible.  (And its Computed Value is 'on'.)
- 'three' does not have a specified value, so it inherits the Computed Value (this is a CSS term) of 'two', which is 'on' (because visibility' has "Inherited: yes" rule); 'three' is also visible.  (And its Computed Value is 'on'.)

That's all correct, right?  So the only detectable difference in this example, is that
...getAppStructureById("two").getAppStructureAttr("visibility")
returns 'inherit' in your original example, and empty string in my variant, correct?

-Lofton.

P.S.  Btw, for me at least, it is pretty hard to tease all of these subtleties out of 5.4.  Based on this thread (and the other about problems w/ "Style Attributes"), we should be able to identify some clarifying wording, and add some EXAMPLES!  (The latter suggestion might be considered for the whole of the spec, esp Ch.4 and Ch.5)