Subject: ISSUE: remaining Delimited String sub-issues

WebCGM TC --

#3 is still open (#2 is pending LH to draft solution and put it in text for
review)...

At 07:21 AM 5/25/2005 -0600, Lofton Henderson wrote:

>>About the "delimited string inconsistency" item:  "It was decided that
>>whitespace delimited will be used  for viewcontext (simple string), but
>>for region we will use single quote delimited sub strings as defined in
>>5.5  linkuri for multiple links or multiple regions. Do we need a special
>>case for single strings?"
>
>(To be clear, "whitespace-delimited" refers specifically to the 'wsp'
>production of 5.5.)  Correction:  for the Delimited String data type, the
>definition is as in 5.5:  multiple substrings are either quote-delimited
>and wsp separated, or apostrophe-delimited and wsp separated.
>
>Open question 1:  does single substring revert to Simple String
>encoding?  (Recommendation:  yes)

2005-05-25:  Resolved, YES.

>Open question 2:  what is the definition of
>validChar?  (Recommendation:  Refer to 3.1.1.3 -- the definition will vary
>depending on whether it is a 'name', a 'linkuri', a 'title', etc)

2005-05-25:  Lofton will make specific proposal (possibly in next Editor's
version text).

>Open question 3:  is problem-char escaping needed within the content of
>substrings?  (Recommendation:   yes.  Use "\", recognizing that JS will
>also consume some of the "\" characters.)

OPEN.  Here is an description of the problem, if we don't have some
escaping mechanism (ignore 1st part about "Valid...", and look at 2nd part,
about "Escaping..."):
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cgmo-webcgm/email/archives/200505/msg00046.html

To summarize concisely, here are two alternatives and a recommendation.

Alternative 1:  yes, define escaping mechanism ("\").
Alternative 2:  no, define a rule, "Can't have both QUOTE and APOSTROPHE in
your data."

Recommendation:  Alt.1.

Other views (esp. implementors)?