Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] XCF fragment

I took a quick look and I interpret it as 5.1.3 applies and we are ok (it belongs to CGM), but then maybe I don't completely understand the rfc here.

Has anyone else had a chance to look at it?

thx..Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 3:48 PM
To: cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

Volunteer needed...

Not trying to be a trouble-maker but I'm trying to ensure that our desired
outcome ("CGM") is RFC2936 compliant.

RFC2396 has a set of rules for resolving relative URLs.  See section 5.1:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

As I read this, 5.1.1 and 5.1.2 don't apply.

Does 5.1.3 apply?

-- If 'yes', then does "base document" mean the HTML document containing
the URL which has the xcfterm fragment (which contains the xcfurl), or is
it the CGM document that is de-referenced by the base portion of the URL
which has the xcfterm fragment (which contains the xcfurl)?  If CGM, we're
fine.  If HTML, then we have a problem (we all want it to be CGM).

-- If 'no', then 5.1.4 applies and the rule is whatever we write into
WebCGM 2.0 (which we agree should be:  CGM).

I'd like another pair of eyes (and brain!) to read and give an
interpretation.  You may also want to have a look at 3.5 (Fragments), for
clues.

Btw, rfc2396 is updated by rfc3986,
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt
which uses slightly different wording in 5.1.3.  We will almost certainly
have to make that update in WebCGM 2.0, so you might just want to start
with that document.