Subject: FW: WebCGM and JavaScript

I've been working with one of my collegues (3D expert) on a suggestion for U3D to extend it to interactivity similiar to what we're doing in WebCGM.

I forwarded him a draft to review.  His first comments were on the IC chapter:

		Hi, Dave,

		Interesting spec for actions for WebCGM.  I like it.

		Is there a method to escape to JavaScript on an event (and an event model)?

		I didn't see it on my first read.

I pointed him to the event model and these are his comments:

> Hi, Dave,
>
> Pretty straightforward event model, I must say.  A few comments:
>
> *	All interpretation occurs from a button click event on the cursor locate device.  Seems like there should be two extensions:  the return value can be a set so the user can press multiple buttons for a single event and that more than three buttons should be accommodated.  The other problem is dealing with single button locators (the Mac).
> *	The assumption is that keyboard events will be handled (outside of CTRL/Shift/Alt/Meta) will be handled outside the window> ...> Might be better to generalize what's returned as an ancillary key to a 'meta' key plus a keyboard key.  This gives the app developer a bit more leeway for events.
> *	The really big deal (for the 3D guys) is that locators can easily work in more that x and y.  Any ideas?
>
> This is exactly the level of detail that I'd like to get consistency between U3D, Adobe, and WebCGM.  We can save ourselves lots of development $$.
>

> 	Thanks
>
> 	Dave Kasik
>
> 	Technical Fellow
> 	SSG IS Architecture
> 	e-mail:  david.j.kasik@boeing.com
> 	phone:  +1.425.830.4276 (cell)

Just thought I would pass this along.  I'm not sure how to do picking in 3D on a 2D surface...

As a side note, we are volunteering a resouce (our friend Dick Fuhr) to add NURB surfaces to U3D with sub-divided patches.

thx...Dave