Subject: ISSUE: visibility & interactivity at picture level

From Dieter's comments:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cgmo-webcgm/200506/msg00021.html

ISSUE:  visibility & interactivity at picture level

3.2.2.9
how do we state that visibility can be set at picture level?

3.2.2.10
how do we state that interactivity can be set at picture level?

DISCUSSION.  We have three things to consider:  WebCGM (metafile instances), DOM, XCF.

In WebCGM...  Since these are APS Attributes, it can't be done in a straightforward manner.  You can achieve the effect (at least for visibility, maybe for interactivity) by wrapping the whole picture body in an APS.   Or apply the attributes to the layers in a layered picture.  In DOM or XCF, not currently possible.  Various solutions that come to mind -- for WebCGMs and/or DOM and/or XCF -- either violate CGM:1999, or create incompatibility between the three functional areas, or are hacks.

This is not going to be a simple problem to solve cleanly.  If it is not an *important* use case, it might be a good strategy that we postpone the solution.

RECOMMENDATION:  don't try to solve it in 2.0.