Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: change VDC to NVDC in OBJECT?

Hi Lofton,

I agree, we shouldn't assume anything here.
Alt 2 looks good to me, if we want to continue to support this kind of a feature.

We never implemented it because no user could possibly know what to write into these parameters.

A far better way to set an initial viewport is to include a #fragment to the OBJECT tag's src URL. Does the same job
without any reference to coordinates. Coordinates outside of the CGM in the HTML portion will most likely break with the next
revision.

So my suggestions are
- go with alt 2 or
- simply deprecate this param.

Cheers,
Dieter

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 7:59 PM
To: dieter@itedo.com; cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

At 07:22 PM 6/13/2005 +0200, =?us-ascii?Q?Dieter__Weidenbruck?= wrote:
We should take a quick poll whether any vendor has actually implemented this functionality. We have not thus far.

IMO, there is very little chance to break any content without viewers in the market that supported this feature in the past.

I tend to agree with you, but want to be pretty careful that we don't make any assumptions that could bite us later (e.g., "we within CGM Open are the only ones who might have implemented this, or who might be implementing it now").

Also ... I'm unsure what is W3C's attitude -- purist or practical -- about changing standards in such a way as to break content?

If we don't want to change things, I suggest we deprecate this param instead. It becomes useless in the future, because internally
we all will be calculating with NVDC only.

Just to clarify...  what do you think of alt.2?  That deprecates the VDC version of the param, and defines a new NVDC version.  So:

Deprecated:   VIEWPORT   topx topy botx boty   (w/ VDC coordinates)
Promoted:  VIEWPORTN   ntopx ntopy nbotx nboty    (w/ NVDC coordinates)
(or NVIEWPORT, or any other reasonable new name)

Then VIEWPORT would be removed in next version or release of WebCGM.

That (Alt.2) would seem to be a safe way to accomplish the change (if there is any existing content anywhere that we don't know about).  People who haven't implemented VIEWPORT yet don't need to.  People would implement VIEWPORTN.

Thoughts?