Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Review Chapter 2

At 07:58 AM 6/16/2005 +0200, =?us-ascii?Q?Dieter__Weidenbruck?= wrote:
[...]
Comments, Benoit or anyone?
[DW] We have been discussing this, however, if we really  want to use the XCF this way we should probably
flag the file accordingly to distinguish it from "normal" XCFs. We need to think about a way then to add the "name" attribute to
such a list file. Right now we are not able to enumerate all APS IDs, types, and attributes: the name(s) would be missing.

It was my impression that this was NOT a principal use case, but then again I seem to recall that we have vacillated on this (Cologne and after) and maybe I missed a final determination.

As you say, it presents problems, as it is distinct from the other principal use cases of binding metadata to objects in file, both standardized metadata like linkuri and private application metadata.  Two problems at least, if it is an enumeration of metadata already in the metafile:

1.) the 'name' attribute, as you mentioned.
2.) you don't really want to loadAndApply such a file, do you?  (It is redundant, or if not totally redundant, then it's not an enumeration!)

Pragmatically, I would like to see a solution to this use case postponed, unless one of our user communities has a very strong need for it.  The text could be fixed by removing the use case, or inserting "partial" before "enumeration".

Should we generate an issue, just to force attention?  (And close it next Wednesday.)