Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: must conforming XCFs be validatable?

Hi Lofton,

I thought about this some more and what you are in fact proposing is
that a conforming XCF file must not only be "well-formed"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-well-formed) but also a "valid XML
document" (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-prolog-dtd ).

From an authoring tool perspective, this may be difficult to achieve.
It is easy to achieve when there is no metadata, but more difficult
when there is metadata.

I doubt authoring tool will always be in a position to extend the
DTD so that the XML namespace metadata passes DTD validation. I think
this could cause more damage than good when exchanging XCF files.

What is an authoring tool suppose to do when he loads in a file with
this at the top?:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ...
[
<!ENTITY % grobjectExt "| customNS:customElement" >
<!ATTLIST grobject
  xmlns:customNS CDATA #FIXED "http://www.example.org/customNS";
  customNS:customAttr CDATA #IMPLIED >
<!ELEMENT customNS:customElement EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST customNS:customElement
  xmlns:customNS CDATA #FIXED "http://www.example.org/customNS";
  info CDATA #IMPLIED>
 ]>

Maintaining these DTD extension sounds like a lot of work on authoring
tools for the only purpose of XCF versioning... I know you are very
sensitive regarding feature creep, but this is a big one! This
proposal is in fact a lot more work on vendors than most of the other
proposals recently sent to the group.

Why not simply say that: a conforming XCF file must specify its
version either by explicitly specifying the 'version' attribute or by
including a DOCTYPE that references a webcgm DTD.

Thoughts