Subject: Fwd: stalled Registry items

All,

This represents the beginning of my AI to hit on SC24, about the registration items that inexplicably fell through the cracks and weren't entered into the ISO Register of Graphical Items...

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:04:00 -0600
To: "Richard F. Puk" <puk@igraphics.com>,
        "'Kerr, Stephen'" <kerrs@fhu.disa.mil>,
        "'Moore, Laura A. '" <Laura.A.Moore@nga.mil>
From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Subject: stalled Registry items

Greetings SC24 colleagues,

The following is extracted from my August 2004 trip report, about my visit to the 2004 Breckenridge meetings:
Registration Items

When I was putting together the CGMO Registry of CGM Extensions, I noticed what seemed to be a couple of errors in the compression types section: PNG was missing, and [...] another problem: sRGB, sRGB-alpha, and RGB-alpha colour models had not yet appeared in the Registry.

   1. The PNG registration was stuck, because Japan did not want it to progress until PNG became an ISO standard. Now that has finished, and PNG should be entered into the Registry soon.
   2. The colour models got stuck because Japan thought they were not precise enough. They supplied some colour conversion equations, and changed the reference to the W3C Graphics Activity colour pages from normative to informative. These should finish processing now. I took a quick look, and don't see any problem [...]

I apologize for not following up until now.  But it appears to me that nothing stands in the way of now fixing these omissions from the Registry.

1.) Per my Breckenridge records, PNG (1.0) has presumably satisfied the sole objection, which came from the Japanese.

2.) I have attached a couple of documents that I think demonstrate that the three COLOUR MODEL registrations should also be in the Registry now.  The original registration ballot [1] showed unanimous approval except for Japan, who made very specific suggestions for improvement.  In fact, we CGM-ers did make and submit those improvements exactly as requested by Japan, as you will see from the sample (sRGB) in attachment [2].  (Note.  These latter documents are dated 1999-06-03 in my archives.)

It creates a bit of an awkward situation that WebCGM 1.0 has been in the field for 5 years and has been using these four items as if they were in the Registry.  WebCGM 2.0 completion is pending, and it would be very timely if we could get this detail tidied up.

QUESTION.  What can we do to expedite the entry of these 4 items into the Registry?  Can I be of assistance in any way?

Best,
-Lofton.
(for CGM Open)

[1] attached:  24N1929.DOC