Subject: QUESTION: what does "deprecated" mean?

WebCGM TC,

[I'd like feedback before next telecon, so I can start to align next draft
of text...]

We need to agree on a precise definition of "deprecated".  I took this
action item at the editors meeting and the 7/13 telecon.

Right now, the editors-draft text says:  "For WebCGM 2.0, deprecation is
defined as follows. Deprecated features must not be present in conforming
2.0 content, but must be supported by conforming 2.0 viewers that support
conforming 1.0 content."  This is approximately the definition of
deprecation in MathML 2.0 (see end of this message).

It seems to me that the issue in the definition probably revolves around
"must not be present in conforming 2.0 content", and that there are two
ALTERNATIVES:

Alt.1:  Deprecated features MUST NOT be present in conforming 2.0 content.
Alt.2:  Deprecated features SHOULD NOT be present in conforming 2.0 content.

Alt.1 means that conforming authoring tools must stop generating the
feature now, in any valid 2.0 output.  Alt.2 recommends that they stop
generating it.  In either case, the stuff remains in the 2.0 specification,
but with the "deprecated" label, and tied closely to our (tbd) precise
definition of "deprecated".

RECOMMENDATION:  Alt.1.

DISCUSSION:  FYI, here is what is currently deprecated in 2.0 (quoting from
Appendix A.2):

>-- TILE compression types 0, 1, 2;
>-- BITONAL TILE compression types 0, 1;
>-- the three WebCGM 1.0 object behaviors in the URI fragment -- highlight,
>view_context, highlight_all -- are deprecated and replaced by a set of
>behaviors that are atomic, orthogonal and comprehensive in combination;
>-- the 'viewport' param element, unused and unseen in the five years
>between WebCGM 1.0 and 2.0.
>-- the WebCGM 1.0 Character Set List designation tails for UTF-8 and
>UTF-16 are replaced by correct derivations in WebCGM 2.0, and the 1.0
>forms are deprecated.
>
>[new LH Note.  what about picBehav term in fragment of 'linkuri'? It has
>been called deprecated, in the 'linkuri' description, for some time now,
>e.g. since 2nd Release of 1.0 (2001).]

Looking at the list, I think the questions will be about the compression
types.  Do we mean to say that you MUST NOT generate in 2.0 metafiles, or
SHOULD NOT generate?  Thoughts?

SIDE QUESTION.  Also, what about that ancient "deprecated" wording in
'linkuri', about the picBehavior term of the fragment.  Thoughts?  (Do we
want it to be legal but discouraged as of now, or do we want it to become
illegal?)

MathML 2.0 Deprecation Definition

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML/chapter7.html#interf.deprec