Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Namespace declaration ISSUE

At 09:39 AM 8/22/2005 -0700, Cruikshank, David W wrote:
>Here's what S1000D says about declaring namespace in 7.4.1.1.  Later in
>the spec it also says that all namespaces declared must be registered.

This little PDF snippet is good -- recommended reading.  It is a brief and
lucid description that confirms what it took me lotsa' hassling to sweat
out of "XML Namespaces".

Where does one register namespaces?  Is there some sort of registry, like
the MIME type registry?  Or is this an ASD thing?

>I also checked with one of our namespace "experts".  His preference is
>REQUIRED.

Why?  Is it only a matter of preference, or does he have some substantive
pros/cons for choosing #REQUIRED?  Benoit chose the other option (#FIXED),
with an interesting observation about a disadvantage of the #REQUIRED option...

At 03:04 PM 8/22/2005 -0400, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>[...]
>b) Opt 2. Why? Because...
>  - I think we should follow what other standards have done.
>  - I don't think the limitation you point out will ever be used.
>  - Opt 1 has no way of making sure that xmlns="" points to the WebCGM
>  namespace. Example, opt 1 actually makes this a valid file:
>
>  <webcgm xmlns="notawebcgmnamespace">
>    <grobject.../>
>  </webcgm>
>
>  which is wrong.