Subject: ISSUE: should no-target-object block event dispatch?

5.7.10
----------
There are some things in the 2nd bullet list that I don't understand:

>* If there are no graphics objects whose interactive region is under the
>mouse (i.e., there is no target object), the event is not dispatched.
>* Otherwise, there is a target object. If there is an event handler at the
>Picture level with event capturing for the given event, then the event is
>dispatched to the Picture.
>* Otherwise, if the target object has an appropriate event handler for the
>given event, the event is dispatched to the target object.
>* Otherwise, the Picture is checked to see if it has an appropriate event
>handler. The event is dispatched to the Picture if one is found.
>* Otherwise, the event is discarded.

(Long story short ... draw a flowchart of the above, with four Y/N decision
branches ... something is wrong.  In words, the long story is...)

I don't understand how the 2nd sentence of 2nd bullet relates to the 4th
bullet.  If there is an appropriate event handler at the Picture level, how
would the event-dispatch algorithm ever get past the 2nd bullet?  2nd
bullet says that eligible Picture gets the event before eligible target
object (eligible = has handler), while 4th says eligible picture gets it
*after* eligible target object.  I would think that we mean the 4th,
right?  I.e., most specific wins?  I.e., closest to leaf wins?

I'm unclear why the dispatch-to-Picture (if eligible) of the 2nd bullet
should be contingent upon there being a target object.  It basically
says:  if you click on a blank area of the picture, the event is not
dispatched (so Picture could not receive the event).  Is that what we
intended?

(Btw, the first bullet is effectively the same as SVG1.1.  SVG is now
debating whether to change it, even at the expense of being non-backward
compatible[!], so that the containing SVG element [i.e., our "Picture"]
gets a chance at the event if there is no target object.)

Thoughts?