Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] problems with NUBS

 Dick,

Here's the email thread on HUBS/NURBS, so you can add your input and reply to all.

Thx...Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 9:21 AM
To: cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

At 07:53 AM 8/30/2005 +0200, Dieter  Weidenbrück wrote:
>[...]excellent summary.

Yes, thanks Rob!

>To make a long story short:
>
> > question: "Are NUBS and NURBS absolutely required for WebCGM 2.0?"
>No, no, and no.
>
>And I strongly suggest to eliminate them in front of this situation.
>This does not mean that we don't have to resolve the issues with
>CGM:1999, however, this won't happen before WebCGM 2.0.
>
>Does anybody object to removing the NUBS/NURBS from the CD?

[Dave, I think this wants to be on next Agenda.
All -- please circulate opinions by email, prior to telecon.]

I don't feel strongly -- it's more or less a user call.  Having said that, if the defects mean that implementations are all over the map and won't interoperate, then deferring NUBS & NURBS is probably sensible.  It is hard to tell, how long it will take to sort this out.

More embedded...

Right.  This is another case where our liaison w/ SC24 failed in the years around 1999.  (I won't name names!  Okay ... actually, I must share the responsibility with our former SC24 Liaison officer.)

With SC24, I'm now trying to actively sort out the Registry problem.  I will follow up with this one -- we apparently prepared a defect report, but possibly it didn't go anywhere.

> > 3) Interval over which the higher order basis functions are
> > non-zero.  I noticed this discrepancy while reading 8632-1/065.  It
> > states that the interval over which the higher order (k > 1) basis
> > functions evaluate to non-zero is T[i] <= t <= T[i+k].  However,
> > CGM99 gives the interval as T[i] <= t < T[i+k].  So, B[i,k](t) = 0
> > when t = T[i+k} according to CGM99.  It does not equal 0 according
> > to the
> > 8632-1/065 defect report, and you must evaluate the two terms in the
> > basis function to obtain the value.
> >
> > The 8632-1/065 defect report states: "The CGM defects editor has
> > convened an ad hoc committee of NURBS and CGM experts.
> > ...", so that tends to make me believe it over CGM99.
> > However, I'm not a NURBS expert myself, so I have no idea which is
> > correct.  It's possible that the numerators of the two terms in the
> > basis function evaluate to 0 when t = T[i+k] in which case there is
> > no discrepancy.  I haven't checked this possibility.  Like I said,
> > I'm not a NURBS expert.

This sounds familiar.  Dave, is this the issue that we worked out with Richard Fuhr?  Or was that worked out earlier and incorporated into
CGM:1999 (8632-1/065), and then visited again (8632:1999-1/001)?

Long story short, Dave, do you have access to a NURBS expert who can answer these questions for us?  (I guess the only real question is #3, as #1 seems agreed [clamped], and #2 appears to be a bona-fide erratum whose processing got derailed.)