Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] QUESTION: ban 0x09, 0x0A, 0x0D from 'name' ?

OK, I'll see if I can come up with the answer to the question of what a
format effector is.

I'm looking at ISO/IEC 2022 right now, and the answer is not jumping out at
me.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:22 AM
To: Robert Orosz; cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

At 10:11 AM 10/4/2005 -0600, Robert Orosz wrote:
>OK, that raises the question, what is a format effector?  I assumed it was
>talking about ANSI style escape sequences.  However, I don't see it defined
>in sections 9.5.4.6 or 9.5.4.7 of CGM99.
>
>What is a format effector?  Is it defined somewhere in CGM99 or one of the
>normative references therein?

Another good point, Rob.  I don't know the answer, right off hand.  I have
a feeling it could be defined somewhere like ISO 2022 (isn't that where C0
and C1 control characters are defined? ).

I know from ancient history that we (ISO CGM group) were talking about
things like HORIZONTAL TAB, NEWLINE, CARRIAGE RETURN, VERTICAL TAB, etc/

Are you interested to research and come up with the answer?  It would be
good to spell out, just what "format effectors" includes.  I just googled
"format effector", and there are plenty of hits.  (I'd like to keep
processing review comments for tomorrow, rather than get side tracked.)