Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] onload solution

Hi Benoit,

Looks good.  One question/suggestion...

At 04:29 PM 12/14/2005 -0500, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>   As agreed from today's telecon, here is the proposal for the
>   'onload' issue. The solution only addresses the loading of WebCGM
>   files via the 'object' tag. If other group members want to have
>   'onload' event handling not using the 'object' tag, they will have
>   to make their own proposal.
>
>   The spec wording of section 3.4 should change from:
>   "The user supplies the name of an event handler that the viewer
>   shall invoke upon the 'onload' event. This param element and handler
>   allows for script writers to manipulate the WebCGM DOM at the point
>   at which the user agent has fully parsed the object tag and its
>   descendants and is ready to render the object to the screen."
>
>   to:
>   "The user supplies the name of an event handler that the viewer
>   shall invoke upon the @@'onload' event. Note: subsequent
>   modification of the user agent's source file using the DOM will
>   cause the 'onload' event to be dispatched."

Do you think it is clear to all readers, what is meant by "subsequent
modification of the user agent's source file using the DOM"?  E.g., some
readers who haven't participated in the TC might take this to mean
manipulation of the DOM tree.

How about being very specific:  "Note:  Using DOM 'src' attribute (on the
WebCGMMetafile interface) to define or redefine the user agent's WebCGM
source file will cause the 'onload' event to be dispatched."

>   and the 'onload' event definition (5.7.10) should be changed from:
>   "The load event occurs when the WebCGM DOM implementation finishes

I just noticed.  In 5.7.10, the event is named 'load', not 'onload' (and
its companion is 'unload', not 'onunload').  It has always been so.  I
guess it's a little late to change it's name, right?