Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Chinese Unicode test uploaded

All,

We are working on adding font properties to our tools and should have this
finished around Feb 6. I will update the Chinese tests when this is
finished.

Regards,
Forrest

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 6:32 PM
To: cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [cgmo-webcgm] Chinese Unicode test uploaded

Some news and a request...

NEWS:
-----

I have put the basic Chinese unicode test on the FTP site.  The files
are:  utf16-chinese-v10.htm, .cgm, .png.

The good news is that we appear to have two implementations passing already
(Itedo and SDI).  The bad news:  the file does not adhere to the WebCGM
(1.0 & 2.0) rules for fonts.  The font is not Adobe13 (it's "Arial Unicode
MS"), but there is no Font Properties element.

This is something that I'm sure will be scrutinized in W3C, especially as
Chris has been attentive to our (WebCGM) font handling claims.

So it is slightly better news that the Japanese unicode test
(utf16-japanese-v10.cgm) does indeed have a Font Properties
element.  MetaCheck shows this information:

The fonts are,
1:Arial
2:MS Gothic

Font Properties are:

Font Index = 1 (p10)
     Font Family = Arial (p5)
     Posture = Upright (p5)
     Weight = Medium (p5)
     Proportionate Width = Medium (p1)
     Design Group = 0, 0, 0 (p1)
     Structure = undef/na  (p1)

Font Index = 2 (p10)
     Font Family = MS Gothic (p5)
     Posture = Upright (p5)
     Weight = Medium (p5)
     Proportionate Width = Medium (p1)
     Design Group = 0, 0, 0 (p1)
     Structure = undef/na  (p1)

This is a very good start.  I'll note that 'Structure' could be defined,
even if it is low priority (solid | outline ... we probably want
solid).  Design Group is not difficult, but it requires a copy of 9541-2,
which we now have available on the Web site:

http://www.cgmopen.org/technical/typeface.pdf

It would add credibility to the test file if we put something for the
Design Group.  (I'll have a look at 9541 and make a suggestion).

the Font Properties in utf16-japanese-v10

REQUEST:

Who is able to work effectively with the Font Properties element, and
handle unicode, i.e., what tools?

I guess Itedo can do it (they produced the Japanese test).  I know some
other tools cannot.  Also, my old standby 'convert' does not do Font
Properties, to my chagrin.  (I looked at the source, and the FP element
appears to be stubbed on output, as if we planned to do it later.  I might
play with that and fix it, but that's a long-term task.)