Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] clarification of 1.0 object behavior mapping

All,

I saw that the people on the telecon last week have
discussed this before I was able to respond.
Nevertheless I want to do this.

See below,
Dieter

Section 3.4 "WebCGM and the object element" clearly defines what the
initial state of the picture is, it is defined by the mapping (fit|fill)
and the halign and valign params.

> >As far as mapping old 1.0 object behaviors, I agree with your point
> >that mapping the bare 2.0 "newHighlight" introduces an
> ambiguity.  The
> >ambiguity could be resolved by specifying a default
> navigation state as
> >described above, or changing the specification of the mapping of old
> >1.0 object behaviors to 2.0 behaviors that include both a navigation
> >and a highlight keyword.
>
> As you note, there are two problems here:
>
> 1.) The new "newHighlight" behavior is ambiguous when the
> link requires opening new content (CGM-CGM or HTML-CGM).
I can't see this. As mentioned above, 3.4 defines the initial view,
then the newHighlight happens. Where is the ambiguity?

> 2.) The mapping specification (highlight -> newHighlight)
> runs into that ambiguity.
Understood and agreed.

> For new content (#1), it is possible for the user to avoid
> the ambiguous situation.  Therefore, the spec could warn
> "don't do this".  That would be the *minimal* change to
> current 2.0 text.  Defining the default navigation state for
> the bare keywords is a cleaner solution, but it's also more
> of a technical change and will require getting consensus that
> issue (the default navigation for newHighlight).
No, I wouldn't warn. The user can easily combine navigation and
highlighting as desired, this is the precise purpose of separating
navigation and highlighting into separate keywords. Why an additional
warning?
It would sound a bit like
"Here are the keywords for navigation, and here are the ones for
highlighting. Please be aware of the fact that navigation keywords
will not trigger highlighting, and highlighting keywords will not
trigger navigation."
Sounds redundant to me.

> For old content (#2), the ambiguity should be removed (since
> the user can't avoid it).  The way to do that, preserving the
> old 1.0 behaviors, is to correct the mapping:
> full+newHighlight.  (1.0 was unambiguous about that, and
> full+newHighlight is exactly the 1.0 behavior.)
Yes.

Regards,
Dieter