Subject: W3C and WebCGM TC Submission

Hi Lofton,

  You told us about a new unapproved list of errata on the WebCGM spec,
developed after the approved Committee Specification, which you wish to
introduce to W3C:

  Since publication of the CS, the TC itself has come upon 10 or so "errata" in
the specification, as the TC members have continued to work on implementations.
* * * It is proposed that the TC send to the WG a list of proposed improvements
to the spec, which it recommends that the WG apply before Last Call review. This
list is completed.

  There are two valid methods for making a contribution of the errata into the
W3C WG. One is for OASIS (the consortium) to contribute it. The other is for any
other member of the WG to do so.

  So far, OASIS's official position has been to approve the submitted Committee
Specification. We could change that, but not by a unilateral act from you or
even the TC. If you want us (OASIS) to change our official position to include
the errata, and thus authorize you (our rep) to contribute it, Patrick as CEO
can approve it -- but this requires process work. For him to change our
position, our Liaison Policy requires that you provide a written justification.

  If you want to take that course, would you please inform Patrick (a) whether
the TC has acted to adopt these errata; and if not, please inform him (b) why
not, (c) who has been consulted, and (d) from who we can get assurance that the
errata are nonsubstantive and would be satisfactory to the TC.

  I'm sorry if you find that burdensome, but some degree of control and
appropriate process is a requirement on anyone who acts as this consortium's
official representative to any external body.

  Alternatively, any other member of the WG (and TC) could propose errata within
the W3C WG, as a contribution there, and then it can be brought back to OASIS
after the W3C Proposed Rec stage. That would not require any action by OASIS at
this time.

  The W3C WG is underway, and OASIS has long since sent in its contribution. Any
proposed changes at this point are occurring within the W3C process. We agreed
in the MoU that the OASIS TC would remain dormant during that phase. Any "delay"
in that process is not caused by OASIS rules.

  Please let us know which path you wish to take, and feel free to raise any
questions you may have.

  Regards.

Mary

Mary P McRae