Subject: WebCGM 2.0 processing in OASIS

WebCGM TC

As you recently saw:

There have been three editorial changes to WebCGM 2.0 suggested as a
result of the W3C PR review [1].

The revised OASIS CS text has been uploaded our site [2].

Our next step is to approve the Committee Specification, which finishes
its review period on Nov 4th.  I will have to notify Mary McRae that we
are ready to approve the specification.  Approval requires a 7 day
ballot which she will run.  It requires a "Special Majority Vote", which
means it must be approved by at least 2/3 of the voting members and no
more that 1/4 vote no.

During our scheduled telecon on Monday, Nov 6 at 7:00 AM Pacific time,
we will make a decision about requesting an approval vote.  Please plan
on being present for the telecon.

This vote will also constitute a resolution to submit WebCGM 2.0 for
consideration as an OASIS Standard.

This means we will be requesting the OASIS Standard process to begin as
of Nov 15th.  There is risk involved in this step, since the OASIS
membership ballot on WebCGM will not occur until the last half of Dec.
In order to progress to OASIS Standard we need 15% of the OASIS voting
membership to approve WebCGM 2.0.  The last half of Dec is not the ideal
time to catch everybody's attention.  It will require some lobbying to
remind people to vote early before they leave for the Christmas
holidays.  I will take the lead in this effort.  Our other alternative
is to wait until the 15th of December to submit, at which point the
ballot cannot occur until the last half of Jan and WebCGM cannot become
an OASIS Standard until early Feb.  I don't this this would be well
received by either our colleagues in W3C or our user constituencies in
S1000D and ATA.  This is a risk we must take.

Please be available for the upcoming telecon and review the recent
editorial edits that have been made so we can move forward.

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cgmo-webcgm/email/archives/
200611/msg00001.html
[2]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20999/webcgm-v2.0-CS2.
zip

Thx...Dave Cruikshank
Technical Fellow - Graphics/Digital Data Interchange
Boeing Commercial Airplane
206.544.3560, fax 206.662.3734
david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com