Subject: what it might look like...

All --

Here is what the requested defect resolution might look like, if we were to
go with the "minimal" solution.  Don't take this as prejudicing which of
the two solution options we select -- that decision needs to be made by
user advocates, on the one hand, and builders of authoring tools and
viewers on the other.  Is the minimal solution sufficient to everyone's needs?

I have thrown in some explanatory notes, "[LH note...]" in italics, only to
aid you in understanding and interpreting the proposed fixes to the
spec.  They would come out before submission.

To recap... our principal decision is whether to suggest the minimal fix to
CGM:1999 itself -- that would allow to APS-tag only 'middle' (and
'terminal') substrings and require WebCGM 2.1 to explain the
zero-length-substring technique to tag the 'initial' string case.  Or on
the other hand, to suggest an all-case fix, that would include 'initial'
substring directly, but would require considerably more repair to the State
Model and EBNF.