Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] Groups - WebCGM TC telecon minutes 20070620 (20070620_WebCGM_TC_Telecon_minutes.doc) uploaded

One comment and question about the minutes...

[[[
Sub-string hotspot identification
Response from US S1000D graphics subproject indicated that the defect
resolution to the CGM standard is the correct approach and would solve the
issue.
Discussion:  Defect to the standard clears the way to
implementation.   Will this require an erratum to WebCGM 2.0?
]]]

Is it our intention to retroactively recognize sub-string hotspotting in
2.0?  Or do we mean it to be new in 2.1?  The first might require an
erratum to 2.0, the second (possibly) might require broadening the 2.0
content rules for 2.1.

It is actually more subtle than that.  The way that ISO defect corrections
work is that they are considered to apply as of the publication date of the
standard.  I.e., when the sub-string APS tagging defect correction is
approved, then that is considered to always have been a part of the
conformance landscape of CGM:1999.

Therefore, if there is nothing in the current 2.0 text that prohibits
sub-string hotspotting, e.g., nothing in 2.0's content model that prevents
sub-string APS tagging, then sub-string APS tagging automatically is a
feature of 2.0 by virtue of the ISO defect correction.

So, strictly speaking, we might need a 2.0 erratum to *prevent* APS tagging
within sub-strings, if we wish sub-string hotspotting to be 2.1-legal but
not 2.0-legal.