Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Proposed agenda for f2f meeting

Addressing the points of Dave & Franck together...

As you recall, during the writing of WebCGM 2.0, the W3C Specification
Guidelines [1] required us to include a conformance chapter [2].  One area
that [1] requires to be addressed is extensibility, so we have such a
section [3].  Within that section, we have a subsection about extensibility
via profiles [4].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/qaframe-spec/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-webcgm20-20070130/WebCGM20-Conf.html
[3]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-webcgm20-20070130/WebCGM20-Conf.html#webcgm_conformance_extensibility
[4]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-webcgm20-20070130/WebCGM20-Conf.html#ext-profiles

That subsection is non-normative, but contains a start at the topic
identified by Dave and Franck.  I recall that we had some discussions
around these sections (and the conformance chapter in general) -- it raised
some thorny questions (e.g., about DOM extensibility).  As I recall, we had
a hard time nailing down a set of general rules about derived profiles (and
that is the reason that we made this subsection "informative".)

[3] and [4] should serve as jumping off point for discussions about more
comprehensive rules for cascading profiles.