Subject: FW: WebCGM vs. SVG

Here is the list of questions disucussed briefly during our last telecon.  We will go over them during the f2f meeting next week and I've invited Greg Schaap and his collegues to join us via telecon.  Please review the questions and prepare your view on answers.

thx...dave

Technical Fellow - Graphics/Digital Data Interchange
Boeing Commercial Airplane
206.544.3560, fax 206.662.3734
david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com

From: Schaap, Gregory J. [mailto:Gregory.Schaap@bpmionline.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:35 PM
To: Cruikshank, David W
Subject: RE: WebCGM vs. SVG

Dave,

I have 10 main questions here with some sub-questions contained inside of them.  When reviewing these questions, if you find your responses are different for WebCGM than CGM, please delineate the two.  Sir, I thank you very much for your time, and don’t feel like I need these answered right away.  Please, take your time and respond when is easiest for your schedule.

1)       Can you cite any examples of implementation of CGM/illustrations in:

a.       Industrial or major commercial applications

b.      Universities

c.       Government applications

2)       Is the use of CGM in the marketplace expanding or contracting?

3)       What is your take on the advantages of CGM / WebCGM over SVG?  Are they implementation related, or do you see technical advantages?

4)       What major product leaders have adopted CGM as their graphics standard?  In what capacity?  What drove them to CGM?

5)       Has Boeing implemented SVG in any capacity?

6)       Is there a competing open source graphics format that provides the functionality advantages of CGM (scalable vector, supports linking, hotspots, and rollovers)?

7)       Does Microsoft have any concrete plans to provide native support to CGM / WebCGM in Internet Explorer?  If so, when is the earliest you would estimate such support would be offered?

8)       What are the drawbacks of CGM?  Is the fact it is not XML-based hurting its status in the market?

9)       Do different browsers render CGM differently?  What about WebCGM…can a viewer designed for CGM view WebCGM as well?

10)   What is the continuing viability of CGM?  Are there any hurdles yet to face for this proven technology?

Thank you again, Dave, for your valuable time.

Highest regards,

Greg