Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] about transform [was RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Groups - Proposed WebCGM 2.1 ...]

Lofton,

Re 1)
I didn't see the demo, but should we add functionality if it only can be
used with an external tool?

Re 2)
Agreed, and it makes more sense.
This requires a different approach than style properties, because
setting one of those replaces any previous entry. In the transform case,
we need to concatenate.

Cheers,
Dieter

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 4. September 2007 18:08
To: Weidenbrueck, Dieter; Bezaire, Benoit;
cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] about transform [was RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Groups
- Proposed WebCGM 2.1 ...]

Dieter,

Thanks for the detailed contribution.  I'll look at all of it more
carefully, but one small technical point catches my attention now...

At 11:44 AM 9/4/2007 -0400, Weidenbrueck, Dieter wrote:
>Lofton,,
>
>There are several issues with this:
>
>- user experience
>         We wonder how many users are capable of building transform
>matrices by concatenating them using EcmaScript. This requires quite a
>level   of mathematical skills.

Indeed.  But two observations:

1.) in scenarios like Molly/Larry, their tool would presumably provide a
simple parameter interface of some sort to their customers, and hide the
dirty work of generating the transforms.

2.) SVG is interesting in providing, in addition to 3x3 Matrix,
individual transform components for Scale, Rotate, Translate.  (Of
course, that presents a whole different set of traps for the careless
users -- transform components do not commute, etc.)