Subject: RE: re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] Z compression research

gzip libraries usually work on fixed size buffers, so someone can uncompress say the first 4096 bytes... have a look at the header and determine if it's a file format it supports.

Benoit.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Larson [mailto:dlarson@cgmlarson.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:48 PM
To: Lofton Henderson; CGM Open WebCGM TC
Subject: re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] Z compression research

Lofton,

 >  At 06:56 AM 9/20/2007 -0700, Cruikshank, David W wrote:
 >  >I guess I also raises the question of if you find the "magic number" for  >  >zcompress how do you know it's not an svgz file instead of a cgmz file?

There is really no way to tell. Both would have the same magic number.
The magic number is only an indicator that a file has been compressed according the GZIP standard.

Here is how I see this compression scheme working.

The sender of a CGM file that wishes to send a compressed CGM file would use GZIP software to compress a CGM and save that file with a "cgmz" file extension, e.g. xxx.cgmz.

Then on the receiving end, when that xxx.cgmz file is received by a CGM viewer ( that supports GZIP compressed CGM files) and it sees the "cgmz" extension it would decompress with GZIP software. This would yield a binary CGM file which could then can be loaded and viewed.

Don.

 >  Decompress it?

 >  While "file sniffing" is a common practice (to determine GZIP, or SVG vs.
 >  CGM, or CGM encoding), it is not actually the recommended way of tracking  >  content type -- not supported by any standards or protocols.

File sniffing is not required if there is a unique extension, i.e. "cgmz" that indicates that the CGM file is GZIP compressed.