Subject: Default Override column

Hi all,

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25270/Attributes_Table.pdf

I want to be sure that I understand the "Default Override" column.

I had thought that our intention here is to give a well-defined default in cases where the default is "fuzzy".  For example, in Line Cap, the V3 default is "1 (unspecified)".  And WebCGM effectively says "any one the standardized values 2,3,4"

Conversely, we do not intend to give access to overriding well-specified defaults.  Correct?

So the "override" would actually be more of a default specifier, that allows you (for Line Cap example) to choose 2 or 3 or 4 for the initial metafile display.

I don't understand a couple of entries:

-- Line Type Initial Offset is listed as "Yes".  CGM:1999 Chapter 8 (Defaults) is clear:  0.0.  Also, LTIO is not dealt with in T.26.7, where all of these other things are handled.

-- same for ETIO.

-- Line & Edge Type Definition (LETD):  it is listed as "Yes".  The rationale of a "default-override" LETD would seem to be a little different than Line Cap, for example.  Might be useful, but I haven't thought much about possible usage scenarios.  (Note also:  LETD element defines one negative index at a time; and it is a Picture Descriptor element.)

-- Hatch Style Definition (HSD):  same comments.

Otherwise, I don't have issues with the list of default-override candidates.

Question:  Do we want to give selective access (like the selective Style Properties access that we seem to support)?  Or should we take the "do 'em all" approach on this functionality?  (Again, this can probably be treated as a 2.1 design question, once we say yes or no to the general functionality.)

(Aside.  In my yesterday message, I overlooked that LETD and HSD are Picture Descriptor elements.  That doesn't necessarily invalidate their manipulation as Style Properties, but will raise some design questions when we get there.)

(Another aside.  Yesterday I said that applicability of LTIO to line types 1..5 and 6..15 was dubious.  In fact I checked CGM:1999 and there is no such restriction, it is apparently applicable to the predefined ones, just as it is to LETD-defined ones.)