Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] new Style Pttributes -- LETD, HSD, LTIO

Lofton,

Is this more what you were looking for?

The use cases that I was trying to capture with the defaults column
were:

- The ability to be able to specify a default behavior of elements that
are not allowed in a version 1 or 2 file.  For example Line Cap is not
allowed in a version 1 file.  It would be nice to be able to specify the
value without upgrading the file to version 3+.

- The ability to be able to define the sizes of the dash, dots, spaces,
line spacing (for hatches) for the line types that are pre-defined.
This
is useful to make lines look consistent across viewers and hard-copy
versions.

- The ability to be able to specify preferred font substitutions to
enable mapping the font specified in the CGM and system fonts.  This
is not actually called out in the table.

The use cases for the DOM column were:

- The ability to be able to define line (and hatch) styles for negative
indexes.  Being able to manipulate these styles at runtime (via the DOM)

it would enable creating the illusion of movement along a line (or
within
a fill).

- Changing line and edge types can be used to draw the user attention to

certain portions of the image.  Modifying the fill style and/or index
can be
used for the same purpose.

- By making shapes (rectangles, circles, closed polygons, etc) that
surround
points of interest and using a fill style of none and then controlling
the
edge visibility attention can be drawn to complex regions (even multiple
regions).
This is similar to how highlight of a region works now, but this would
allow
edges to be different color if needed.

Useless cases:

- Disclaimer: I don't use markers and never have...  But being able to
change
them would allow for implementation of things like To-Do or checklists?

- Disclaimer: I don't use the text score element either... The only use
case
I could think of was to be able to dynamically underline text.  But this
is
a case of a solution looking for a problem.

--
Stuart Galt
SGML Resource Group