Subject: rough 1st draft of Rqts Doc

Hi all,

This is a quick job, but I wanted to get something up and on the Wednesday
agenda:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cgmo-webcgm/download.php/25996/WebCGM_21_Requirements.html

I took the superset defined in the old "...2+ Requirements..." (Seattle
vintage) and started cutting it down to make 2.1 Rqts Doc.  Working mostly
from 10/24/07 minutes etc.

I think it is not bad as far as capturing the state of our decisions (and
indecisions), but it does require more work.  What we need to do is have a
pretty solid one posted within a month or so -- the WebCGM WG needs to be
able to point to a requirements doc in its re-chartering, for example.

A couple of issues:

1.) I didn't really know how to present the stuff (what format).  I just
sort of drifted into the Synopsis/Discussion/Resolution format.  But ...
that doesn't actually reflect the "Requirements and use cases" title very well.

So I think it is worth discussing, whether this is a good format.  It is
already more usefully informative than the 2.0 Requirements Document, but
that doesn't mean we've got it right yet.  Look at how un-detailed and
vague that document [2] was...)

[2] http://www.cgmopen.org/technical/WebCGM_20_Requirements.html

2.) Animation.  I broke it out into 3 pieces.  I'm unsure whether that's
the right approach, but that's the way we have been treating it in the
"dirty dozen" list, etc.  So we could go one of several ways here:  3-piece
like that;  or 1-piece like Dave's 10/24/07 minutes; or 3 sub-pieces under
a single statement-of-requirement:  "Synopsis:  There is a requirement from
aerospace to be able to show movement in a CGM." .

3.) Use Case Detail and AIs.  Should we strengthen the use case
content?  If "yes" There is more stuff out there in our archives.  I just
haven't pulled it all together.  If "yes", one idea might be:  divide up
the dozen items amongst 6 "volunteers", and have each person take two
sections.  The AI is to critique the section, and dig out more of the use
case stuff that we have already discussed.  (And maybe give back draft new
content for the section.)  I could integrate this latter stuff upon my
return, and we'd then have a pretty good document, I think.

If "no" ... that's probably an acceptable answer also.  We already say more
than we did in the 2.0 Requirements [2].