Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: redraw control

Stuart,

the simplest way ist to have two calls (or alternatively a boolean):

suspendRedraw()
resumeRedraw()

That way no further management is necessary, and it does what is needed.

Regards,
Dieter

-----Original Message-----
From: Galt, Stuart A [mailto:stuart.a.galt@boeing.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 16:30
To: Cruikshank, David W; CGM Open WebCGM TC

Hello,

Based on my (sometimes faulty) memory there was some discussion about
how much control should be allowed.  I think there are two options:

1) Redraw control is boolean and is either manual or automatic. When
   it is "manual" the whole picture is redrawn only when a redraw
   command is issued.  When it is "automatic" redraw is handled just
like
   it is today in 2.0.

2) Redraw control has 3 options:  automatic, all, changed.  When it
   is "automatic" the redraw is handled just like it is today in 2.0.
   When it is "all" the whole picture is redrawn when the redraw command
   is issued.  When it is "changed" only the APS structures that have
   changed are redrawn.

There are two different ways of implementing this.  Section 5.7.5 would
need to be updated to include the following attribute

attribute boolean manualRedraw;             <-- for boolean version
attribute string redrawMode;                <-- for the trinary version
                                                valid values would be:
						            "auto" |
"all" | "changed"
and the following method would be added:

void redrawPicture();

The other way of implementing this would put the burden of keeping track
of the changed application structures on the user by adding two methods.
It would just have the boolean attribute

attribute boolean manualRedraw;      <- true or false

The method that is called would determine which application structure(s)
get redrawn.

void redrawPicture();                         <- redraw the entire
picture
void redrawPicture(in WebCGMNodeList nodes);  <- only redraw these APS

I am not sure how to proceed.  I don't really have an opinion if a
binary or trinary mode is better.  But I am leaning toward the first of
the two ways of implementing the solution.  I realize that it would add
a bit of work on the viewer side to keep track of the changed APS but I
think it is preferable to making the script writer keep track.

--
Stuart Galt
SGML Resource Group