Subject: ISSUE: retroactivity of sub-string APS in WebCGM

[...2nd of 2 new issues about sub-string APS in WebCGM...]

ISSUE:  Should the sub-string APS functionality that will be documented in
WebCGM 2.1 also apply to 2.0 (and even 1.0)?

DISCUSSION:  It is a fact about ISO corrigenda that they are, after
approval, considered to be part of the subject standard from Day 1 of that
standard.  I.e., it is as if sub-string APS had been a clear explicit part
of CGM:1999 since 1999.

Therefore, the question arises:  are sub-string APS legal in the 1.0 and
2.0 profiles?  Presently, the text of 1.0 and the text of 2.0 do not
mention sub-string APS, and do not place any restrictions on them.  But
since they are a part of CGM:1999, and not restricted, it could be argued
that they are legal in 1.0 and 2.0.

It is possible that we want them to be legal, but that would have
conformance implications on all implementations.  And if we *did* want them
to be legal, we would certainly want to impose whatever profile
restrictions we decide for 2.1 [1].  Therefore, if we did want them to be
legal, we would need an erratum to 1.0 and an erratum to 2.0.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cgmo-webcgm/200801/msg00038.html

In fact, if we do *not* want them to be legal in 1.0 and 2.0, we should
probably still have an erratum to explicitly prohibit them, now that the
CGM:1999 standard has been clarified.  This would be non-substantive -- no
implementors thought sub-string APS were possible in 1.0/2.0 -- and a
low-priority project.

1.) legal in 2.0, clarify with 2.0 erratum
2.) legal in 1.0, clarify with 1.0 erratum
3.) not legal in 2.0, clarify with 2.0 erratum
4.) not legal in 1.0, clarify with 1.0 erratum
5.) other

RECOMMENDATION:  #3 and #4.