Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: In what components is 'transform' defined?

My responses are below.

--
Stuart Galt
SGML Resource Group
stuart.a.galt@boeing.com
(206) 544-3656

Would it be possible to only create a segement at the application
structure level if it is actually used in the metafile or called
out in the xcf?  I was just trying to see if we could use or extend
existing constructs.  I agree turning every APS into a virtual
segment would cause too much overhead.

> It would also mean that transforms could not be applied to
> WebCGM 1.0 or 2.0 (and hence ATA and S1000D) files, which is
> not really acceptable.

I am not sure how we could do something in 2.1 that would suddenly
make transforms possible with 1.0/2.0 data.  Or were you suggesting
that I could take a 2.1 XCF file and a older CGM file and have it work
with a 2.1 viewer?

> The math is clear, and we already know that we need 3x3
> matrices (to be able to include shearing). That should make
> our discussion an easy one, I guess. This is what SVG does,
> this is what PostScript does.

Yes the 3x3 matrix is what is needed and is used by most things
that do a 2D to 2D coordinate transfomation.  Only six terms in
the matrix need to be specified because the bottom row is not really
needed to produce the new 2D coordinate.