Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: more DOM/XCF style properties

Lofton,

both zoom and pan might result in one simple solution:
Specification of a destination rectangle.

We have precise rules for showing a certain rectangular area inside the
viewer defined in the area of object navigation. So if we consider the
desired view after a zoom and/or pan operation as a rectangle, we would
basically treat this operation as a grobject with view context, but sans
grobject.

If we make this both read/writable a script writer could do whatever he
wants. All in NVDC coordinates, of course.

Regards,
Dieter

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Samstag, 19. Januar 2008 22:14
To: Cruikshank, David W; CGM Open WebCGM TC

At 11:52 AM 1/18/2008 -0800, Cruikshank, David W wrote:
>This constitutes a proposal to encode units for elements Line and Edge
>Type Definition, Hatch Style Definition, Fill Reference Point, pan
>coordinates, and zoom coordinates for DOM/XCF styling properties in
>NVCD.

ZOOM COORDINATES:  What do you mean by "zoom coordinates"?  I.e., how
are we going to parameterize zoom?

Is there some implicit zoom reference point -- e.g., the center of the
current view -- and then just a zoom factor (no coordinate parameters)?

Or is there an explicit zoom reference point as a parameter of the zoom,
plus a zoom factor (so the zoom might do some panning in the process)?

Or is there an explicit zoom box to which the view is zoomed, and no
zoom factor (again, the zoom might do some panning in the process)?

PAN COORDINATES:  same sorts of questions.  How to parameterize pan?

While it isn't necessary to answer these questions before resolving that
all coordinate-type information is NVDC, on the other hand it seems
reasonable to decide about the parameterizations of the functions before
or at least concurrently with deciding the units of expression those
parameters.

(Possibly I missed issue discussion and resolution about pan/zoom
parameterizations in a missed telecon.)

-Lofton.