Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: priority of navigation, pan, and zoom interactions

All,

I think that a priority would only be needed for situations where two
distinct ways of navigation are executed at the same time, which will
rarely be the case.

Otherwise, simply the last action prevails. This is consistent with the
behavior we have:
- a navigation to a grobject is executed and moves to a certain view
context or destination rectangle
- the user subsequently starts panning
Of course, the result of the panning is what the user wants to see, not
the result of the previous navigation.

Dieter

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Sonntag, 3. Februar 2008 11:27
To: Cruikshank, David W; CGM Open WebCGM TC
Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: priority of navigation, pan, and zoom
interactions

[...sending again, there was a small typo in Scenario 2...]

At 03:52 PM 2/1/2008 -0800, Cruikshank, David W wrote:
>Proposal:
>The order of priority for navigation, pan, and zoom are:
>1) Viewer
>2) JavaScript DOM transactions
>3) XCF transactions
>
>If there is not futher discussion, this issue will be closed at the
>next telecon.

I think this is incomplete, and not ready for closure.

In particular... what does it mean to list those things in priority
order, #1, #2, #3.

Scenario 1:  A.) a script executes the DOM panZoom Style Property
method;
B.) then the user changes the view with viewer's pan/zoom controls.
Result
-- the user action prevails.

Scenario 2:  A.) a script executes a DOM panZoom Style Property method;
B.) then the user changes the view with viewer's pan/zoom controls; C.)
then the script (possibly after some interaction with the user) executes
another panZoom SP method.  Question:  does the above ranking of #1
priority for viewer controls and #2 ranking for DOM transactions mean
that step B overrules step C, even though the latter occurs later?  I
don't think so.  I think step C prevails.

OASIS
at: