Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: regex APS addressing

Hello all,

I have attached an html that will open an arbitrary WebCGM and will
allow
you to select an attribute and enter a regular expression.  It will then
produce a list of the application structures that match the regular
expression.

Please test this html using your favorite viewer and let me know (either
the list or privately) if it works correctly.  I would like to make sure
that
we have at least two implementations that will work when we get to that
stage.

I have tested this on my circuit, tic-tac-toe, and a couple of images
used
in the test suite.  If an attribute is unspecified it will show up in my

list of nodes as  NODEID (myattribue="").  I make no effort to consider
inheritance and only search on the specified values of attributes.

One thing that should be noted is that when you enter a regular
expression
into the text field you must hit the submit button and not a carriage
return.
For some reason a carriage return will cause a reload of the HTML and
you will
need to select a CGM image again.

I am probably misunderstanding how things should work but I was having
lots
of problems trying to create/manipulate a webCGMNodeList.  I went back
to the
simple cases in the test suite and they work, but all we do is a very
simple
add/delete test...

It is not in the spec but I tried:
var nl = new WebCGMNodeList();
It of course does not work... Do we have a need to have a way to create
an
empty list?  If I am the only one to have tried this then the answer is
probably no.

I also tried:
var nl = myFirstNode.toNodeList();
This creates a WebCGMNodeList but if I remove item(0) to make it empty
or
when I try to append the first APS I found it will toss an exception.
The
spec says that if you try to append an item that is already in a
WebCGMNodeList
it will remove it from the current location and append it onto the end.
This
is not tested in the test suite..

I finally got tired to trying to make WebCGMNodeList work the way I
wanted to
and just used a plain old vanilla javascript Array().  My original
thought
was that I would be able to get all of the APS in one call with
something
along the lines of:
var allNodes = document.getElementsByTagName('*');
This gives me all of the HTML nodes... and
var allNodes = picture.getAppStructuresByName('*');
doesn't work either.  So I "lifted" a bit of code to walk the WebCGM DOM

tree and add the nodes to an array.

Even though the HTML is 100+ lines long the real "code" that does the
regex comparison is just a javascript match within the processAttr()
function.

--
Stuart Galt
SGML Resource Group