Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] RE: Transform Draft

Comments about one question that Benoit asked, on the draft's packaging of the transform functions...

At 12:18 PM 3/10/2008 -0400, Bezaire, Benoit wrote:
Thanks for the draft Ulrich.

Lofton, how precise do we have to be for the first publication?

Some quick comments:
- I don't know if the IDL definition supports function overloading (i.e., multiple definition of the same function name, ex: rotate). We may have to offer two rotation functions.
- The 1) section should link back to the NVDC section.
- I think the 'replace' parameter should be a keyword instead of a boolean, ex: add | replace.
- Unfortunately, I do not understand the get/setTransformSP() functions. Could someone provide an example on how this will be used?

Although there is an excellent collection of material in the draft, I also have some problems understanding some details about the IDL that is proposed for the CD text -- like the get/setTransformSP() functions.

In TC discussions and my functional summary of them, we (or at least I) have used "setTransformSP()" as a hypothetical single catch-all method into which all of our transform functionality was embedded.  It would support specifications in the forms of:  general transform matrix; scale transform; translate transform; rotate transform..

I did not mean to confuse and imply that it MUST be packaged that way, and in fact that might not be the best idea (it could be complex).  It was the task of the draft to chose how all of the functionality would be designed and packaged for the interface.  A single setTransformSP() method might be a possibility.  Or multiple methods, each implementing an individual component (scale, translate, ... , matrix).  Or some hybrid.

The draft has a hybrid, but I don't understand what is setTransformSP(), which in my understanding was the catch-all for all of the transform-setting capability.

Another unclear detail.  I have been using "convenience" (or "convenience component") differently.  I have been using it in association with a transform component like "scale", "rotate", etc., which would have parameters like scale factors, rotation angles, etc.  (As opposed to a general transform matrix specification, into which one would have to compute the matrix entries for, e.g., the scale operation.)

The draft seems to associate "convenience" rather with the ability to specify a reference point for a component like "rotate".  So in the draft there are two flavors of rotate:  the default about the origin, or the "convenience" where you can specify the reference point.  (Whereas, in my terminology, the "convenience" is the rotate method itself.)

We need to sort this stuff some more by end of Wednesday telecon, sufficient to put something into 1st CD text.

-Lofton.
(Mostly away from email till Wednesday morning.)

- Shouldn't transforms be allowed on grobject, para, subpara and layer(?).
- With the XCF markup, XML doesn't allow us to say:
<grobject apsid="level-1-obj" translate="5 10" scale="2" />
elements can have an order, but not attributes. We will need to use a syntax similar to SVG's.

Regards,
Ben