Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Updated DTD and sample instance

Hi,

I'm catching up on some past issue dialogs.

Here is one small point of clarification on this thread, embedded...

At 01:11 PM 3/20/2008 -0400, Bezaire, Benoit wrote:
>Thanks for the pointers.
>
>I am personally not in favor of this.
>
>I think it should remain a user agent feature. An implementer may want
>to provide a User Interface for resolving font substitution issues (for
>example).
>
>I think the problem of font substitution should be dealt with
>differently (ex: modifying the profile) instead of standardizing a font
>mapping file.
>
>I also think authors need to be informed about the problem. They should
>be using fonts that can be found on several platforms. Not relying on
>optional font substitution mechanisms.
>
>I also have a lot of questions about the two elements: <cgmFont> and
><displayFont>? About <cgmFont>, where are the font names defined? I see
>for example: Courier-BoldOblique in the profile.
>
>Is there any chance that font name could be?
><cgmFont>COURIER_BOLDOBLIQUE</cgmFont>
><cgmFont>COURIER BOLD OBLIQUE</cgmFont>
><cgmFont>COURIER-BOLD_OBLIQUE</cgmFont>
><cgmFont>COURIER   BOLDOBLIQUE</cgmFont>
>
>What are the rules?

In a CGM instance, the rules are in T.16.13:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/webcgm/v2.0/OS/WebCGM20-Profile.html#webcgm_4_5
The answer is "no" to all 4 variations (T.16.13).  However, this is valid:

CoUrIeR-BoLdObLiQuE

The rules for a WebCGM instance are:  case insensitive, else must match
exactly.

It would be a question to be decided, for the proposed <cgmFont> element,
what naming latitude is desired.

>Same thing applies for <displayFont>...

Same for <displayFont> -- to be decided.

>Sorry, but I see many headaches for implementers.

I don't see this as the big issue.  If we want the feature, we solve the
problems of definition, as always.

> From a users
>perspective, they are likely familiar with our preferences file and
>would probably appreciate status quo.

That is the real issue -- do we want the feature?  (Which question I'll get
back to in a later email.)

-Lofton.