Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Updated DTD and sample instance

David,

Re 1)
Nobody denies font mapping or objects to it as far as I can see.

Re 2)
>2) The question of whether we should have a standardized syntax for font mapping.

>This seems to be where the big disconnect is.
Right.

>The new configurable items chapter describes a standard method of doing the font mapping.
>There are two methods for associating this config file with a WebCGM instance 1) via the
>fragment syntax (ref 3.1.1.2); and 2) using a Processing Instruction (PI) in the XCF file (ref 4.1, Scenario 4).
I am strongly opposed to any fragment change of this kind, as well as the inclusion of the PI in the XCF. This raises the parsing and processing complexity in a serious way.
Not only it would be required for an application to be prepared for all variations of simple or combined fragments (xcf plus aci), there is also a significant difference in processing.
Some of the scenarios an application must prepare for:

(BTW, why can an aci only be combined with an xcf? This means that aci files can not be used if any other form of fragment is needed)

Case 1: #fragment without aci and xcf
normal processing as we did so far, i.e. first load the CGM, then parse the fragment and execute

Case 2: #fragment with aci, without xcf
significant change: we have a pre-loading step now with the aci, then load the CGM, then apply the aci stuff

Case 3: #fragment without aci, with xcf
significant change: we now have to preload the xcf to find out whether there is an aci referenced from within the xcf, then load the CGM, then apply the aci, then apply the rest of the xcf. Sounds difficult? Not yet...

Case 4: #fragment with aci and xcf
significant change, even more complex. Now we have a pre-loading step AND a post-loading step.
And more than that: we have to pre-load the aci and apply it, then we have to pre-load the xcf, look for an aci reference (where is defined which one prevails?) then apply the aci, then load the CGM, then apply the XCF

Now all fragment parsing happens AFTER the CGM has been loaded. Please remember: we need the BHO to retrieve the fragment AFTER we have the CGM, we don't even _see_ the fragment before we go to the BHO.

More questions:
What happens with an aci reference that sits in an XCF that is applied _after_ the CGM has been loaded?
What happens with an aci fragment that is used after the CGM has been loaded?
An XCF is not file-specific, so the aci isnt' either?

I personally dislike the combination of defaultStyleProp and font substitution in one file. I can see the importance of defaultStyleProp, however, this is hardly a feature that would be used on a per file base, most people would want to set these values once and never change them again.

>As I've said before, the major use case is interoperability.  Rather than carrying around 4 difference font mapping files
>(with 4 difference syntaxes), I would rather only have to work with one mapping file.
This means that you did the work already, and that no further work is needed on your side.
In the future you wouldn't be able to work with one single mapping file either, because you have no idea which font is installed on the target computer, and which platform it runs on. So you may end up shipping one mapping for UNIX, one for Windows.

>The second use case that I've seen is a desire to have mulitple font mapping files in the context of a compound document.  We have mulitple illustration creation systems and they don't always match exactly.  We have found it necessary to map fonts differently between our maintenance illustrations and our wiring diagrams in our compound document presentation product to make the display readable.  It's an ugly process doing that kind of thing via scripting and renaming files in the background.

Understood and appreciated. All your use cases are very valid use cases, however, the current proposal
- will not fix these problems
- will introduce extreme parsing complexity
- will not work for any URL that needs a fragment other than xcf and aci
- will create a substantial workload for all vendors for close to zero mileage.

My suggestion:
let's standardize on a format for a font mapping file that gets sent to the end computer separately, and that will be maintained as needed on that target computer. That way you can send out a single file, and we can be sure that the end user has a way to adjust it to his needs.

Other observations:

In 3.1.1.2:

webcgmfragment ::= picterm "." objterm |
picterm |
objterm |
picid "." objid |
objid |
xcfterm

The term xcfterm is not used. This should be resrcterm (if we would adopt this).
Regards,
Dieter