Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE 9d11: Should lineEdgeTypeDef be generalized or focused?

At 04:30 PM 5/8/2008 -0700, Cruikshank, David W wrote:
I'm in favor of generality and I think our use cases support this:

From the requirements document (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26392/WebCGM%202_1%20Requirements.htm)
In another usage, LINE AND EDGE TYPE DEFINITION (and similarly hatch style) default setting could allow a specific exact dash style to be assigned to the generic CGM line types 1,2,3,4,5.

I don't think that use case limits us from doing anything.

Of course a Use Case does not *limit* the design you choose to satisfy it -- it only defines a minimum.  However, (IMO) good design principles suggest that the design should be the smallest, simplest functionality necessary to satisfy the use case.

That, at least, should be our continuing design criterion in WebCGM.

So the minimal design to satisfy that use case is:  cycle-length, length-of-dashes, and maybe something-about-dot.

The current capability of LineEdgeTypeDef is:  ability to redefine generic line types 1..5 to look like any conceivable line type.  (So ... taking it ad absurdum ... you could make line type 2..5 all be solid; or even empty/invisible?)

From the attributes table (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26099/Attributes_Table.pdf)

The ability to be able to define the sizes of the dash, dots, spaces, line spacing (for hatches) for the line types that are pre-defined. This is useful to make lines look consistent across viewers and hard-copy versions.

While the second sentence doesn't capture the whole use case,

It is *exactly* the use case that I thought we have approved so far:  we wanted the rendering of the generic types (solid,) dash, dot, dash-dot, dash-dot-dot to look uniform across viewers.

What it does not capture, perhaps, is the (expanded) use case that you have in mind in requesting "generality".  We apparently have interpreted the use case differently.

the first sentence implies that control over the sizes of dashes, dots, and gaps is required.

Perhaps we need to revise the use case to include alignment of the visual appearence of V1 and V2 files when used in conjunction with V3 files in an application.

I'm not understanding what this means in concrete, what's-in-the-metafile terms.

Do we need to update the use cases in the requirements and/or the attributes table?

I think it is the right way to proceed.  When I reviewed and approved the attributes table, and the requirements, what I had in mind is the ability to make the generic line types 1..5 look uniform across implementations, but still look like:  solid, dash, dot, dash-dot, dash-dot-dot.  (Do we really need to address 'solid'?).

I do not necessarily oppose the generality.  For example:

PRO:  It is easiest to implement, because every CGM:1999 viewer already has the code for LETD.  (A more restrictive parameterization would require a little more new, to translate the parameters into the LETD set.)

But then...

CON:  A 2.0 viewer that might get a very different picture from a 2.1 viewer, and that picture might disagree with what CGM:1999 says it should look like.  (If the aci directives changed the generic pattern rather than simply making it more precise.)

But then again...

Contra that CON:  On the other hand ... one can do that sort of thing with some stroke properties with the Style Properties in 2.0 -- applied at the Picture level -- and can do it to line type in 2.1 with the newly added 'stroke type' Style Property.

-Lofton.