Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: aci/viewer association

David,

I can see several ways forward here:

(setting an environment variable is not one of them because IT folks
don't like if we intrude the system more then necessary)

1. Standardize the location
Agree on a single location that a viewer has to look at for the file.
Don't think this would work, too many variants here with Vmware and with
server hosted prefs.

2. Use a URL to tell the viewer about a prefs file
Create a URI that would tell the viewer where to find a prefs file, e.g.
...dummy.cgm#acifile(pathToFile)
The viewer could ignore dummy.cgm and only download the aci file
I consider this to be a hack (possibly a bad one)

3. Create a DOM call to tell the viewer
myViewer.loadACIFile(fullPath);
This would be a straightforward way to tell the viewer where to find the
file and what to do with it.
The viewer could then copy the file into a location that it likes, and
merge the content with whatever ist own prefs are.

4. Simply provide the aci file to the end user and ask him to store it
in a special location
Not a good solution, we could stay with what we have now, should be more
reliable.

Did I miss an option?

Regards,
Dieter