Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] Comparison of section 6.18 with the ISO Register of Graphical Ite ms

Rob,

Good suggestion.

DONE.

(6.18 is now informative, with explanatory reference to the normative JPEG item in the Graphical Register.)

-Lofton.

At 02:02 PM 6/2/2008 -0600, Robert Orosz wrote:
Lofton,

Here is the review that I promised last week of section 6.18, and in
particular how it compares with the BASELINE JPEG entry in the ISO/IEC 9973
Items Register.

It is clear that whoever wrote section 6.18 read the entry in the Register
and "borrowed" heavily from it. For example, this sentence,

"The cell colour precision parameter of the TILE shall always be 8-bit for
BASELINE JPEG."

appears verbatim in both sources. The only difference is that the parameter
name, cell colour precision, is written in all capital letters in the
Register. Some  sentences have minor differences, e.g. "TILE" in one and
"TILE element" in the other. I believe the word "shall" is used an equal
number of times in the Register entry, as it is used in section 6.18.

Based on this, I believe section 6.18 should be labeled informative, and the
ISO Register should constitute the normative definition of compression type
7 (BASELINE JPEG). After all, that is the intent of the Register in the
first place.

Rob