Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] a bad specification in defaultStyleProp

Agreed...I think that was what I was trying to say, but it probably
didn't come out right.

Dave

Technical Fellow - Graphics/Digital Data Interchange
Boeing Commercial Airplane
206.544.3560, fax 206.662.3734
david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:52 AM
To: cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

All --

There is some confused language in the defaultStyleProp description.  It
says:

"The defaultStyleProp element of the ACI is the mechanism defined to
specify values for certain CGM attribute and control elements that are
not present in the CGM file. If an cooresponding element is present in
the CGM file, the default specification has no effect."

This is *NOT* what we want to impose on viewers.  The viewer would have
to interpret and understand the entire metafile before it could decide
whether to apply the default!

"The defaultStyleProp element is the ACI mechanism to specify default
values for certain CGM attribute and control elements whose default is
otherwise under-specified in CGM:1999 and the WebCGM profile.  This
element, when processed at initialization time, will set default values
for the applicable metafile elements.  If the contents of the metafile,
upon interpretation, explicitly set the applicable metafile element
(either via METAFILE DEFAULTS REPLACEMENT or via the element itself in
the body of the picture), then that explicit intra-metafile setting
supersedes the defaultStyleProp setting."

That wording encapsulates the stated purpose:  set under-specified
defaults.  (For V1 files as well as V3/V4 files.)

Objections?