Subject: RE: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] QUESTION: XCD dtd xform

[...Dave's below message is the last one I picked up before getting on a
plane.  I'll have a brief window to send a reply when I land, then probably
done for the day.  So ... excuse if there are subsequent thread messages
that I ignore for a while...]

At 05:54 AM 6/19/2008 -0700, Cruikshank, David W wrote:
>Sorry, you're right I misp-typed this morning.  The xform methods are on
>WebCGMAppStructure, only.  I was just questioning whether is belonged on
>WebCGMPicture.

First:  I'm confused by some of this thread.  Dave is asking where to put
transform stuff in *XCF*.  A lot of discussion is about DOM interfaces, and
I'm a little uncertain what the position in the XCF dtd has to do with, for
example, "...WebCGMNode interface..."

Geometric transform (in DOM and XCF) is applicable to APS of all types
except 'grnode'.  Therefore it belongs (in XCF), on grobject, layer, para,
and subpara, as well as bindById (and bindByName?  Gotta' think about that
one).

It could be that my original editing of Ch.4 invited this confusion by talk
too much about interfaces and not enough about what types of objects
geometricTransform applies to (per Ch.5 definitions -- grobject, layer,
para, ...etc...), and less about the interfaces.

(Dieter's concern about transforming a single word in a string is not
related to 'subpara' per se, but rather to sub-string APS.  We have
resolved and the document will clarify that attempting to transform a
sub-string APS  violates normative CGM:1999 layout rules for
Restricted/Append Text, and therefore such an attempt has "no
effect".)   Conversely, if a 'subpara' contains an entire RT/AT string, and
is not a sub-string APS, then ... no problem.

In DOM, it was discussed whether transform should also apply to whole
pictures.  That was not done, because there was not a compelling use
case.   (It *was* discussed, however.)  This, I think, was Dave's original
question -- transform in DOM applies to all object types but 'grnode',
hence it goes on those corresponding items in XCF.  But transform does not
in DOM apply to Picture, hence it is not  on the XCF 'webcgm' element, and
was that exclusion from Picture intentional?  (I believe "yes".)

Okay, now back to the XCF (Ch.4) text.  It had not caught up with Ch.5/DOM
in Editors Draft 03.  So these following edits are needed:

1.) s/Geometric transform Style Properties/Geometric transform/
(Because we have distanced "Geometric transform" from the "Style Properties".)

2.) s/geometricTransformSP/geometricTransform/
(Ditto...)

3.) s/matrix/setTransform/ (in the geometricTransform entity definition).

4.) Since we are now using Float and WebCGMMatrix in DOM transform
definitions, instead of WebCGMString like before, we will need to change
the 4th pgph of "4.3.1, Data types and encodings."  It will need to read
something like:  "numbers that are the parameters and attributes in the
corresponding DOM object and method definitions are encoded in the XCF as
List-of-number subtype of WebCGMString"

That is all that is *needed*.  It might help to avoid confusion if Ch.4
talked more about what types of objects geometricTransform applies to (per
Ch.5 definitions -- grobject, layer, para, ...etc...), and less about the
DOM interfaces.

I have made the changes 1-4 (above) to the text of Ch.4, plus a couple
little editorial improvements.  (Use this for DTD-correctness check, to be
sent in separate mail.)

All for now,
-Lofton.