Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] Test Suite: Status of V1 - V3 tests

Thanks, Rob, for your good work on this...

At 05:32 PM 7/11/2008 -0600, Robert Orosz wrote:
>All,
>
>It is difficult to tell what is missing from the v1 - v3 static tests
>without knowing exactly what is already present. Since there are 232 tests
>in the present version of the test suite, determining the answer to that
>question is a somewhat daunting task. I decided the best way to approach
>this is to write a script (or scripts) that will run MetaCheck on all of the
>CGMs and build a report on which elements are present in each file. I am
>working on that right now.

Off-line, I have sent additional information about the HTML/Javascript
harness (WebCGMFrame.html).  It contains the test purpose, etc, of each of
the 232.  It was written by a NIST intern long, long ago, as a contribution
to the first CGM test suite.  (And it works *only* in IE, not in FireFox or
Netscape, due to some obscure problem that I have never found.)

However, as you also conclude, it is not a good basis for future work...

>I've also noticed that some of the current tests are incomplete; they are
>missing one or more pieces of information. For example, look at the Line
>Style Definition tests. For each one, the CGM Purpose and Check Points both
>say "...TBD...." I'll try and work on those as I find them.

Ah yes, some ancient procrastination that I never got back to.

>I also think we should consider rearranging the layout of the HTML test
>harness so that the CGM and reference PNG can be viewed side-by-side in the
>same browser window (like we do for the 2.0 tests).

I agree.  The new static tests that were put into the 2.0 test suite use
such a scheme.  For example, if you look at the Table of Contents for the
new tests for 2.0, .../new20tests/new20-TOC.html, you'll see a section for
new20 static tests, and any one of them (e.g., transp01.htm), uses the
side-by-side layout.

>I plan on keeping the "look and feel" the same as new tests are added to
>cover features that aren't currently tested.

Right.

I would put it at lower priority to re-work the old 232, but it would
indeed make for a nicer and more convenient harness for those tests.