Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] Tests for substrings and getting extents

Hi Stuart,

I need some clarification about some of your test proposals.  (The session
notes don't have much besides your original email proposal, below).

At 01:36 PM 7/15/2008 -0700, Galt, Stuart A wrote:
>Substring hotspots:
>------------------
>CGM will contain 3 text strings
>
>         link first first first
>         middle link middle
>         last last last link
>
>- if the image displays then open APS in TOS works
>- test screentip values
>- check links work
>- Add a button that uses one of the links as a target
>- get the APSExtent of a link

So you're proposing that all substring APS tests will be in a single file,
with HTML/script driver to exercise the various subtests?

I see that the session notes suggest that the APS Extent part should be in
a different test.  (Question:  do people think that APS extent on a
substring is useful, i.e., does it have a common use case?  I'm just
curious -- since these substring APS are not transformable or movable, that
eliminates some of the use cases of getExtent().)

>If there are problems with the begining and final substrings
>then test will be separated into "middle" and the first/last test.

I'm unclear about the string structure you are proposing.  As I recall,
when we made the corrigendum to CGM:1999, we wrote it in such a way that
only *middle* substrings could be APS-enclosed.  If you want to put an APS
on the first word of a string, then you need an empty substring to precede
it, and then the APS around the first word.  Similarly for final.

Do you recall this as well?  We did it because it made the Formal Grammar
*much* cleaner;  or alternatively, we estimated that the much uglier and
more extensive grammar changes otherwise might raise concerns about the
corrigendum amongst the ISO folks.

(I just checked the grammar in the PDF of the corrigendum, and I think my
recollection is correct:
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=50315
)

>Object Extents:
>CGM will contain a few simple geometric shapes, and empty
>APS, and and APS that contains just a restricted text string.
>

>- Get the object Extents of two of the objects
>- move ObjectA to align with ObjectB and get extents of ObjectA

When you say "move", you mean applying a 'translate' transformation?

>- Get the extents of an empty APS
>- Get the extents of the APS containing text.

All for now,