Subject: test suite procedures

All --

At 05:41 PM 1/19/2009 -0700, Lofton Henderson wrote:
I have changed the status of this test (owned by Forrest) to "reworking".  Notice that I have done the same for some others in this partially updated status matrix [1].  We will start to do that for all tests, to indicate that the owners have an action to fix them.  See next message about test-suite procedures.

[1] ftp://ftp.cgmlarson.com/test-matrix.htm

In fact, because the test-suite work has drifted well off schedule, and it is impacting implementations and the whole project schedule, we are going to start to manage it and track it more closely.

Rob has agreed to be take over responsibility for keeping the matrix current, and it is going to contain more detail.  Here are some details of what he and I have agreed (it will take us a little while for to catch up and get the matrix [1] to this state):

1.) we have been unclear about the end-game. What constitutes the transition from 'reviewed' to 'accepted'?   'Accepted' will not be automatic after positive 'reviewed' (assuming no review issues).  If the reviewer has no issues, then the test will be put on a 2-week notice that it will be 'accepted' at the next appropriate telecon if not challenged, and we will ensure that it is on the agenda for that telecon.

2.) When the status is 'submitted', we will to link the status column to the notification email wherein the author notified the TC.

3.) When the status is 'reviewed' (meaning the reviewer had no negatives), we will link the status column to the TC-archived review message.

4.) A negative review, or other challenge to the test, or incomplete submission, or ... will send it to 'reworking.'  See examples in [1].  Notice the red-flag, and
notice the link to an archived message -- somewhere in that message's thread there will be a specification of what is needed to get it out of 'reworking' status.

5.) When status is finally 'accepted', we will link to that TC telecon minutes.

It is our aim of this system that any red-flag anywhere in the row means that test is not yet usable. Lack of red-flag in a row means that everything has been done successfully and test is approved and ready for use.

Questions or comments?