Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] F2F

[...background for F2F discussions...]

It might help the decision and scheduling process to identify the options for F2F goals.

I see two goals that each might justify a F2F :

1.) Final preparation for CR transition.  This is what we did at Cologne for 2.0, IIRC.  Implementations were mature and fairly complete.  The test suite was complete.  And the spec was mature and relatively stable, having gone to Last Call after application of some 25 accumulated technical fixes.  There was only one Last Call for 2.0.  For 2.1, we are seemingly some distance from this state now.

2.) Identification and resolution of remaining technical defects in the specification, to stabilize it for a 2nd LC before transition to CR.  This was to be our goal for November, then for January.  To flush out specification bugs, this requires:  a.) completion of the test suite;  b.) at least one implementation *attempt* for each feature in the spec;  and, c.) spec feedback from those implementors, and from test-case writers.

Given the current status, level of activity, and declared commitments (or lack thereof), goal #1 would seem "optimistic" in March time frame.  Goal #2 would seem more attainable in the March time frame.

Question to ask ourselves:  looking at the chartered schedule of the WG [1], we see they planned CR transition in March.  That seems unlikely.  Wild guess, I would say that will slip 2-3 months behind [1].

So the a choice we face is:  do we want our F2F to be sooner for #2 goal?   Or do we want to delay it for a couple months and aim for #1 goal?

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/10/webcgm-charter.html#milestones

[Side opinion about #1-c above -- although 4 vendors claim to be implementing, ALL spec-issue comments so far have come from one implementor.  What is going on?  Some errors are subtle, but some should be obvious.  E.g., "1-6" for stroke-type instead of "1-5"?   If there is more than one implementation in progress, then it would appear that we are not getting the feedback we expect.]

-Lofton.