Subject: RE: AW: [cgmo-webcgm] scale transform

Lofton,

My interpretation of the scale function is that it simply applies the x and y scale factors to all the coordinates in the APS, this would scale around the (0,0) point in VDCs. What does the scale function in SVG do? If the scale function scales around the (0,0) point in NVDCs, then we do not need to add a point to the scale function or a method to get the VDC (0,0) in NVDCs. If it scales around the (0,0) in VDCs then we need to add a point to the scale function or a method to get the VDC (0,0) in NVDCs but not both.

Regards,

Forrest

From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:47 PM
To: 'Forrest Carpenter'; 'WebCGM'

Forrest, All --

A comment and a QUESTION:

I have no problem with adding the scale reference point (or center point, or scale-origin point, or however you wish to call it).  For someone who regularly needs to scale around a non-origin point, it is more convenient than having to do translate-scale-translate every time.  (Altho' script writers can easily provide a utility function to do it.)

Before we make the change to the test, let's get everyone to agree about it.  (Adding the scale-center point.)

*** HOWEVER ... ***

Rereading Forrest's message, I am confused about one thing.  We all agree that the 'scale' function fixed point now is (0,0) in NVDC, right?  (Editorial comment:  this should be stated explicitly in the 'scale' method description -- everything else is explicit about NVDC, and the center-point must be (0,0) since it is not settable now.)

It seems like Forrest wants to scale about the *VDC* (not NVDC) origin, but there is no way in DOM to find the VDC-NVDC offset (so he can't set up trn-scl-trn).  Simply adding the NDVC center-point to scale() doesn't solve that.

QUESTION:  Do you want:

1.) scale center-point (NVDC)?  (For convenience, since it is achievable now by trn-scl-trn sequence.)
2.) or do you want the VDC-NVDC offset?  (E.g., a new attribute on WebCGMPicture [1].)  (Adds new capability that is not presently achievable.)
3.) or do you want both?

-Lofton.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-webcgm21-20080917/WebCGM21-DOM.html#L5070