Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: does clipping affect getObjectExtent?

All,

I vote for option 1, including clip rectangles and protection regions in the
calculation overly complicates things. If you include transforming clip and
protection regions it becomes even more complex.

Regards,
Forrest

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 11:05 AM
To: cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

ISSUE:  does clipping affect getObjectExtent?

Reference:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcgm-wg/2008Dec/0005.html

Discussion:  The specification is imprecise about what things affect gOE
[1] and what things do not.  Clipping is one example.  We have previously
resolved that APS Attributes and non-text Style Properties do not affect
gOE [1].  This would include the 'visibility' APS attr. -- does not
affect.  I.e., gOE returns the bounding box (BB) of the loci of the
primitives in the object, whether 'visible' or not.  By extension,
visibility in any form would not affect the BB calculation -- Alpha
transparency (Escape, or "a" of rgba), transparent cell color (TCC),
occlusion of the object by an opaque object on top of it, etc.  (Is this
another issue?)

It would be consistent to say that clipping does not affect gOE, i.e., gOE
should return the bounding box of the loci of the graphical primitives,
regardless of whether they are clipped or not.  On the other hand, clipping
is different from the 'visibility' APS attr in that the latter is
discoverable by getAppStructureAttr().  But it is similar to the other
sources of visibility (TCC, etc) that are not discoverable via DOM.

The 2.1 Requirements [2] do not answer the question, but hint at a simple
requirement.  Past related issues have supported simplicity and ease of
calculation.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-webcgm21-20090130/WebCGM21-DOM.html#getObjectEx
tent
[2]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/webcgm/v2.1/WebCGM_21_Requirements.html#get-exten

1.) No, clipping does not affect.
2.) Yes, clipping does affect.
3.) add a parameter to gOE to choose behavior.

Recommendation.  Option 1, "No".

-Lofton.

p.s. This ultimately has to be resolved by the WG, but I think preliminary
discussion in the larger audience of the TC is useful.