Subject: RE: re[4]: [cgmo-webcgm] review of aci files

Don -- the action item is back to you to correct the metafile errors from
Rob and Ulrich.  Can you fix these problems?  (Matrix [1] is updated.)

Rob, Ulrich, All --

Does this accurately summarize the metafile problems, as detected by
MetaCheck (and reviewers)?

1.) Max VDC Extent violation;
2.) "ColourClass:colour" problem (MetaCheck bug);
3.) ProfileEd is 2.0 (ought to be 2.1);
4.) Max Colour Index violation;
5.) Font List violation ('arial' in Font List but no Font Properties element).

Overall opinion:  While these problems must be fixed, they are in some
sense "formal", and I think most of them will not affect an implementor's
ability to use the file.  The overall structure and content of the test is
appropriate.  Details:

#1:  the MaxVdcExt element is a pain in the butt!  Should never have been
added to CGM:1999.  But ... there it is, so may as well bite the bullet and
make it right.  (IMHO, this is purely a "formal" error -- should have no
practical impact on early users of the test.)
#2:  metacheck bug, nothing need be changed.
#3:  ought to be 2.1 for new metafiles in the 2.1 test suite, yes?  (See
Rob's comments below about this -- MetaCheck will gripe but we know it's
not a problem.)
#4:  Another "formal" violation -- I would expect minimal impact on early
users of the test.
#5:  This is somewhat at the heart of the test.  While it *might* not
impact early users of the test, on the other hand it might.  It could be
fixed by either changing the font to 'helvetica', or by adding a Font
Properties element.

Thoughts (anyone)?

Btw, once these metafile problems are resolved, we will have a big batch of
tests ready for "Approved", I think.

[1] ftp://ftp.cgmlarson.com/test-matrix.htm