Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] getObjectExtent for text

Forrest --

Thanks for your comments, and especially the offer to generate more info!

More information is what we need now, to decide how to disambiguate the
result of gOE(text).  Next week, when all implementors are present, we can
sort out the best solution.

What would really be great is some pictures.  Could we (anyone) draw a
string with at least one descender, at least one diacritical, and some
reference lines?  Maybe this string:  "Text string: Ö".  (That final
character is O-umlaut.)

The reference lines would be baseline, capline, ymin, ymax, and any other
interesting vertical reference points that might be in the font.  (And
where might the canonical 1000 vertical glyph-box extent of CGM:1999 I.2.2 be?)

-Lofton.

p.s. As I looked at WinXP Character Map when copying Ö (Arial) --
programs > accessories > system tools > character map -- I see interesting
distribution of whitespace.  Tight fit on top, extra whitespace below
descenders on bottom.  Is that significant?  I.e., does that font/glyph
definition include extra whitespace beyond basic glyph box for aesthetic
inter-line spacing?